Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Love Action Movies

What better to do on a hot, humid, Friday evening than head to an over-crowded mall, and catch the latest summer blockbuster to hit the big screens.
Along with some fellow Wahoos, and former Filmmakers Society president, we headed into a sold-out screening of Wanted.  My movie-snobness never stops me from just going to a movie for the sheer entertainment of it, violence; action, movie stars, a perfect formula for raking in the dough and over an hour of excitement.  
I have to admit, I am an Angelina fan (post-Billy Bob).  Her ability to be a mom, kick-butt, and look incredibly hot not only gains respect from the ladies, but has it's affect on the gentlemen as well :)  
In Wanted, Ms. Jolie is part of an ensemble cast that features James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and Common, just to name a few.  Mr. McAvoy redeemed himself to me after Atonement, that if you ask, I have no problem exclaiming how much I hated the movie, and thought McAvoy much better as the fawn in The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe.  
His take on the everyman, the plain, I have no life sitting here in this cubicle who choses to follow a fraternity of assassins, was convincing.  Angelina and Morgan Freeman's place in the film could not overshadow the action sequences which featured flying cars, hurling guns, looms, and falling trains, all cleverly weaved (no pun intended) together to portray suspenseful action that is worthy of summer hype, in fact it surpassed my expectations by actually including a plot that was both interesting and featured enough twists to keep you on your toes.  

This summer's attempt to bring back the blockbusters of yesteryear, where Will Smith was an invincible alien-fighter and Bruce Willis could save the world over and over again, has a promising line-up.  Having already indulged in Iron Man (still drooling over the technology that creates armored suites and robots in a matter of minutes) and looking forward to The Dark Knight, the follow up to Batman Begins (Christian Bale!), the movies are back, ticket prizes are rising ($11.00- a movie or a gallon of gas, you pick), and I couldn't be more excited to be entering the business that cashes in on all the action fun!

Check out the review by a film fanatic that went with me to enjoy the movie: Skew Reviews

 

No comments: