Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I am proud to be a Wahoo


You always watch tennis on TV and somehow out of a ball being hit back and fourth on the court there's a narrative. Tennis is a mental sport, so it's almost the emotion and the drama of the sport's ups and downs that overshadow the shear athletic talent to hit something over 100 miles per hour on a consistent basis. Play after play, then a victorious winner, and the player looks up to their respective box for approval and a moment to share in the glory. I've always wanted to be in one of those boxes, and none of my family is talented enough to get there... so I knew my next bet would be either 1) marry a tennis star... (I had my hopes on Roddick, but he's engaged to some supermodel, oh well) 2) Know someone...

So number 2 worked out this year as I was just about at the point of REALLY missing my Hoo Crew of Virginia sports fans, a sense of camaraderie and nostalgia, along came Somdev Devvarman who got a wild card spot in the qualifying rounds of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic. It's become a family tradition to go these last few years and I've got to watch some greats play in my home town. Highlights being: throwing Michael Chang a ball he hit over the fence; watching Andre Agassi on his fare-well tour; and last but not least, seeing some Cavaliers succeed, first being Treat Huey, and now his old doubles partner Somdev!

Som is no underdog, having won TWO NCAA titles, and going nearly undefeated in his futures tour matches, he has had a great start to a professional career. I would give you more numbers, but I reserve that right to Steve Kirkland, who works for media relations at UVa and whom I found sitting on the sidelines of Somdev's matches. It was great to catch up, as I traveled with him and the women's soccer team to Orlando for the ACC tourney and as we know, the media must stick together!

Somdev breezed through qualifying rounds and made it all the way to the quarterfinals of the main draw before being ousted by Russian Igo Kunitsyn. My favorite night of tennis watching by far had to be a Roddick, Somdev double header as Roddick went 3 sets, coming back after losing the first set for a stunning display of sportsmanship, all to a packed crowd, that ended with a standing ovation. Somdev followed with another 3 setter, the stands nearly empty except for one corner that was filled with blue and orange, occupied by friends, former UVa teammates, and Athletic department staff. It was great to cheer him on, as the nailbiter nearly went till midnight. In those break points, deuces, and more we were there, almost part of the game without actually playing. It's nice to know I can still proudly wear my orange and blue (we won't mention football and basketball).

No comments: