Monday, August 4, 2008

I love American pastimes

I used to have a back-row seat because that's where the press box or control room was. Now I observe from afar because not only is it all I can afford, it also gives me a birds eye view of what its like to be be a fan.
My co-workers decided to venture to the Nationals Park after our last day of teaching. Why we thought we could survive nine innings after a 40 hour work week producing over 20 videos and controlling middle-schoolers, who knows? Regardless, we enjoyed burgers and a view of the park, but since we were on the top row, the city skyline was right behind us. As I was coming in with my camera the lady checking bags told me to make sure I made it all the way to to top because the views were so spectacular. Little did she know that my seat was at the top.
The first thing I noticed once entering was of course the big board in center field, and the ribbon boards around the stands. I believe this is the first sporting event I've attended that I haven't worked. With every change of video, stat updated, and advertisement flash the cues run through my head as I visualize the operators hitting a few simple buttons to make the red white and blue flash before our eyes. I miss being behind the scenes, but it was nice to just enjoy a game with friends.
The nationals were on a nine-game losing streak, and every joke about how terrible they were was made on the way in, but they scored an impressive 5 runs against the Cincinnati Reds in the first two innings and they never looked back. That made the fireworks display at the end worthwhile. I congratulate the city on such a spectacular park that entices fans, families, and forward thinking, as I hope DC becomes a sports powerhouse (I can dream right?).

No comments: