Sunday, July 27, 2008

I take back my earlier Katy Perry comment


I was so hurried in my criticism of Katy Perry, or maybe just her single that has been at number one for 4 weeks, that I failed to overlook her path to stardom.
Instead of being a pop icon glimmering in the moment as young fans worship her for her catchy lyrics instead of musical clout, Katy Perry instead paid her dues and can actually carry a tune. I thank Entertainment Weekly for pointing this out to me as my jaw dropped to the bombshell-cross wearing girl posed in a barber-shop chair (an allusion to her "One of the Boys" title, maybe?).
Her soulful, jazzy, mixed-media album released in 2001 under her name "Katy Hudson" (changed to Perry, her mother's maiden name not to be confused with Kate Hudson), actually has gut, worthy of play in any coffee shop. So I take back my comment and throw to the wind what pop-star may pop up next with a bag of great tricks.

Check out some of Katy's songs like Growing Pains or When there's nothing left.

No comments: