Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I teach TV

I have had the utter fortune that for the last seven summers or so to find myself working with "kids" ranging from rising sixth through twelfth graders teaching them multimedia and TV production at the Arlington Career Center. Two four hour classes a day, structured in such a way that projects can be completed that start out as video scavenger hunts that then mature into game shows, music videos, movie trailers and flash animation.
Having done this for a while now, it's a challenge to be creative and interesting with each class. Yet it's exciting to see new students take on projects and be able to spin them in a way I never thought possible and have old students return with enthusiasm to be able to gain experience with the equipment and create new things.

I do have a slew of assistants who are awesome and many surpass me in technical skill. It is required to have as many responsible hands and eyes as possible as my classroom is 2 edit rooms, a traditional classroom, and a fully equipped studio.
This is a commercial some of my students created using a green screen and my cell phone. There is an immense amount of trust you must instill in students to allow them to be creative and confident in what they're doing. This is at least the second summer for these guys so they really knew how to handle and push what they could accomplish in a very short amount of time. Kudos to them!

1 comment:

Arin said...

Haha... that was awesome.