Thursday, July 24, 2008

I think singer-songwriters may have found a way back

Amongst the Britney Spears and Jessica Simpsons there then came
Vannessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, John Mayer....

And a few years later as Miley Cyrus fans could compete with former N*sync fans in terms of screaming decibel levels, the rising second generation baby boomers who are tearing down the Backstreet boys and Clueless posters, they are looking to listen to something, new, something fresh, something... GOOD!

Having growing up to the vinyl sounds of Elton John, the Beatles, Chicago, the Eagles, Rolling Stones, the list could go on, and later dismissing the classics I so dearly loved for the popular Usher, Beyonce, and whatever club hit was booming on the radio (How Shaggy's It wasn't me ever made it still boggles me), there is something about this time, as we grow older, more mature, that I feel like we no longer accept the dribble of pop and therefore yearn for the sounds like Coldplay, whose latest album offers a unique blend of vocal journeys and vivacious instrumental experimentalism. Or even something more home-spun, like switching my diet from cold pizza back to mashed potatoes and turkey sandwhiches, there needs to be more substance to what my mouth, or this case ears, take in.

Sara Bariellis has made a hit, David Cook who plays guitar (an instrument on Idol, gasp!) won America by a landslide, and a lot of the up-and-comings outside of hip-hop and rap have surprisingly less puff and more heart and soul (Think Charlotte Sometimes and Justin Nozuka).
A littel VH1 (when they play music) proves that there's room for songsters, even if you aren't from England (but still, Leona Lewis, girl, you can sing...).

Katy Perry may prove me wrong with a song I wish would get off the radio (or outta my head), but after over a decade of coffe-shops invading street corners across the country, I wouldn't be surprised to see buzz around new artists whose lyrics overcome popular standards.

** To Note, I will still and forever enjoy Usher, Chris Brown, Beyonce "Yeah!"

No comments: